Sunday, June 30, 2013

SHOCK

 The shock that my bones were so brittle that I could break a bone typing was a little overwhelming needless to say. I was in SHOCK.  I arranged for a meeting with my husband and my doctor because I am the kind of person that can help you do anything, and I mean it I am your biggest cheerleader.  But taking care me I don't know I just keep moving forward not thinking about it.  I don't know why but that is the way I am.

So we sat down and printed out a blue print of what was going to take place and how I was going to become disciplined in building bone.  I had a spine of a 88 year old woman and the rate my bones were going I was going to be in a wheel chair by 50.  You never think it will happen to you.  

The plan to be on Forteo for two years, eat a healthy diet, plant based if possible along with exercise. Ok check I was saying in my head.  But my heart was aching and my hands were shaking.  I don't like needles and I learned it is a little needle but still, to this day I am apprehensive a sticking myself.  But I had my brave hat on.  I went to class and learned how to do it.  I prayed to my God and cried myself to sleep a lot privately too.  I wasn't too hot on bawling in front of my loving husband who looked afraid too.  This changes things.  The doctor shared with me to be careful.  Okay in my mind what does that mean.  I am go getter so its going to be interesting.

That started my journey to healthy bones or bone therapy.  I started walking on the treadmill an hour a day.  Since I quit smoking I added about 12 pounds and thought it was a good idea.  So I walked a half hour and then rode a stationary bike.  I ransacked my meditation music being in recovery I have had a lot.  I found my Jon Kabat Zinn Guided Mindfulness Meditation and started with the Body Scan Meditation.  I called a friend who is a Vegan and shared with him my dilemma.  He suggested John McDougal.  I investigated and started with a journal on what foods to acquire in my diet.

Back in the day I was an all or nothing girl so I was giving this my all in a few months. 

So here it was still shocking, I didn't share it with to many people, I am actually a very private person, although it doesn't seem like it with all I do.  But I am.  I do not like to be front and center of attention especially with my feelings.

I shared with some close friends and my son.  My husband shared it with his family and I was not sharing with mine yet.  Like I said, I do not like attention.  That is why too I think I am writing this, because I don't want to forget the truth about my bone therapy.  I get so caught up in my feelings on this and I don't know why.  But I am pretty sure it is fear.

Anyways, I started Forteo what a task.  Its a pen and I attach each needle and inject.  So I do it in private and I put my big girl pants on when I do it.  It takes all about 30 seconds but its hard.  I put in my stomach cause I am fatty there, it bruises me instantly and then I count for 5 seconds.  I did this for 21 days and then the pen broke, it did not work.  So I called Forteo and after 5 hours on and off the phone at work I finally got a replacement pen.  What a chore. 

Sometimes it happens is what the rep says I am like really crazy.  So the first month, I take it at night because makes me sleepy. So it starts in April, I started exercising and eating plants once a week. 

By May I am walking and jogging in three minute intervals and I feel good, working out eating right, meditating, praying and so on.  I start to have back pain and so on.  Now I always have had back pain and now I know it was osteo but then I didn't.  I was into all pain gels at that point in my life. 

I am at work in mid May and in so much pain I cannot stand, sit or lay down, I tell my boss and I work in a hospital so she sends me to Radiology~ there I was for an hour with the head of Radiology checking everything.  Here all my muscles were good, they did Labs.  I went to my doctor and she sent me home with ibuprofen and pain pills.  I went home took medicine and went to bed and cried.  I felt like I was going to die. 

Finally woke up better.  Whew~ I went to work with discomfort and my doctor set me out with three xrays that we had to determine what it was.  So that week I left early to get them, I had to go to in network provider for the hospital setting I work in is not in network and way to expensive for us.  We were in shock once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment